Friday, February 26, 2010

1 and a quarter

Everyone has told me that once you run your first mile then it gets easier... the first is the hardest.  I was talking to my brother Zach about this and he said for him a mile and a quarter is hard.  Once he hits 1.25 miles the run starts to get easier.
This week in my "couch potato" program I am to run 2.5 miles 4-6 times.  Today I did that.  I ran at the gym again (ugh) because of the neighborhood boonie dogs I mentioned in the previous post.  I was starting to feel like I just wanted to quit and when I looked at my distance (I keep that number covered up by a People magazine) it said 1.26.  I decided not to quit and to see if Zach and I have the same "magic" number.  I pushed through it and honestly the rest of the run felt like a breeze!  When I finally looked down again at the distance it read 2.61!!!! And... I could have kept running easily!  I got off the treadmill, got some water, and drove home feeling proud of my achievement.  I know my number... 1 and a quarter.  If I can just get to that point and then push on I'll be golden!  I just hope this still rings true at my relay race!

5 comments:

  1. YAY! Looks like you are doing well. Can't call yourself a couch potato anymore! You are becomign a runner. You are motivating me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! Keep it up...I can't wait until it warms up a bit so I can do a bit more running. I was in better shape 9 months pregnant than I am now! I learned kids are easier to take care of when they are still in your tummy! (c:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You are making major headway, and fast! I heart those shoes, too. The dogs look crazy. Your race sounds hella fun. And your couch potato to 10K schedule sounds crazy. My body shuts down if I run more than 4 days a week, and I can't run back to back unless it's short distances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for putting up the schedule! What kind of shoes are those?

    ReplyDelete
  5. they are saucony ride's. If you want to start running I would go to Luke's Locker room in the woodlands and get evaluated for running shoes. They measure your foot, watch you walk or run, and evaluate what kind of shoe would be best for you. I would never have picked those out! And I'm a size 7 1/2 and they recommended that I wear a 9! Your feet swell when you run so you don't want you shoes to be too tight... I never knew that! And Luke's will not recommend the most expensive shoe either, which I like. They recommend the best thing for you. IN fact the ones he told me to get were the cheapest out of the three I tried on! Let me know if you start the program! It has really been good for me :)

    ReplyDelete