Friday, February 19, 2010

Half Marathon

I think the last time I ran a relay race was when I was in 5th grade, it was field day, and we passed wooden batons to our homeroom classmates.  Not only was that FOREVER ago, but I HATED field day!  I would  get nervous about it at least a week in advance.  The only race I liked was the three-legged race; because you had a partner and you couldn't be blamed alone for your failure.
Once again I'll be running a relay race!  I doubt I'll have a decorated shirt that all my teammates sign at the end; and I don't think anyone will be handing out Blue Bell ice cream sandwiches when we are done (although that would make me run a little faster).  The race is on March 6th and I'm already really nervous! Mostly because I've never done this... is there a wooden baton?  I have no idea what to expect!  All I know is my portion of the race is 3.5 miles.  Kelly will run 3.5 first, then it is my turn, then our friend Erin will run 6.1 - boy am I glad I'm not her!  I'm glad Kel is going first because I don't want to "take off" with the rest of the pack.  I don't want to see every one fly by me right at the start.  At least going 2nd I won;t be running in a huge pack of people.  
Our friend Erin has done races before.  She does triathlons, Iron Man's, and other stuff.   I have tried to tell her over and over to not expect anything big from me.  I keep saying "I hope you aren't trying to win, place, or make a certain time."  She keeps reassuring me that it is fine, she just wants to participate and prepare for future races.  Sooooo I'm number 2 on our three man team.
We are trying to figure out a team name.  Our last name is MonSON, my maiden name is AnderSON, and Erin's last name is JohnSON.   We are thinking of something that will got with the fact that we have SON on the end of our names.  If you guys have anything you can think of then let me know!
I'm nervous!  I need to go scope out my portion of the race so I know what to expect.  I'm pretty sure it is close to the Air Force base and there aren't a whole lot of hills on the north end of the island, so that will at least help.
Rather than typing about this, I should be out practicing!  It is overcast today and I should take advantage of the cooler temperature.  Yes yes it is about 79 degrees out and I sometimes feel like I should run with a sweatshirt!  Pathetic!
Wish me luck and calm nerves!

1 comment: